Construction Supervision and Management Services
ROUTE No. 7: Morine – Merdare MOTORWAY
Detailed description of project
The Morine – Merdare Motorway (Route No. 7) is extension of Albanian motorway starting from Durres and running through Tirana and ending up to Morine located in Albanian part and continuing through Kosovo territory starting at the border with Albania running through Prizren and ending up at the periphery of Prishtina. This motorway acts as a primary artery running from Durres, Tirana, Morina through Pristina, the capital of the Republic of Kosovo, connecting it with many of the country’s main cities and economic centres. Route No. 7 is a key component of the South-East Europe’s core regional transport network, connecting the Pan-European Road Corridor X in Serbia to the Port of Durres on the Adriatic Coast in Albania.
The Morine – Merdare Motorway has a length of approximately 117 km. Under the construction currently contracted 88 km divided in to nine sections.
The proposed route has been conceived according to EU and TEM standards with a design speed of 130km/h. The typical cross-section assumes the following parameters: carriageway: 2 x 7.5 m; emergency stopping lane: 2 x 2.50 m; shoulder: 2 x 0.1 m; median: 3.0m.
This project contains:
- 19 bridges span from 30m – 780m
- 22 Overpasses, length 30m – 80m
- 28 Underpasses
- 92 Culverts
- 10 Interchanges, etc…
This infrastructure project has been declared a priority project by the Government of the Republic of Kosovo and the general objective is to ensure the timely and cost-efficient construction of the Morine – Merdare Motorway in accordance with internationally accepted quality standards.
Hill International was appointed to supervise and manage the selected contractor. The works supervision is performed in accordance with Red FIDIC Conditions of Contract.
Motorway works have been completed for all sections: 1, 2, 3, 4a, 4b, 5, 7, 8, 9
Type and scope of services provided
- Contract Management Support
- Works Supervision in accordance with Red FIDIC Conditions of Contract (monitor works progress, arrange and participate in regular site progress meetings, prepare progress reports, verify and approve the interim and final payment certificates, monitor the financial disbursements, laboratory tests, check the quality of the materials, claims management, prepare the Taking-Over Certificates, verify the As-Built Drawings, etc)
- Approve the contractors’ materials, equipment and workmanship
- Undertake proper accounting and financial recording of the progress of the works and process interim and final payments to the Contractor
- Monitor that the design and construction of the works are programmed effectively and completed on schedule
- Oversee all construction works and testing of the entire motorway, side roads diversions and associated facilities
- Provide support, advice and services to the Employer for the tendering, construction and testing of the entire tolling system, service areas, maintenance areas and associated facilities
- Services during the Defects Notification Period (inspect defects, prepare the final reports & Performance Certificate and Final Payment Certificate)
- Provisional acceptances for the Works sections.
Investor: Ministry of Infrastructure
Year: 2011 – 2015
Consortium Member: HILL International,